Conor Sammon the hero as Partick Thistle survive Queens cup test

A double from Conor Sammon edged Partick Thistle past Queen of the South in the fourth round of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

The striker doubled his tally for the season with a goal in each half, including one in the last 10 minutes to secure the 2-1 win that sends Alan Archibald’s side into the fifth round.

Sammon, who now has three in two games, broke the deadlock before a freak reply for the hosts as Niall Keown’s tackle hit the foot of Ross Fergusson and flew into the corner of the Thistle net.

However, with the game seemingly set for a replay, Sammon’s deflected shot wrong-footed goalkeeper Alan Martin and proved enough to claim the win.

There appeared every chance of an upset at the start of the game, with Thistle inconsistent in the Ladbrokes Premiership so far this season and Queens having a decent campaign a tier lower down.

The two sides were just six places apart across the two divisions, and so it was perhaps not surprising that the home team had a share of the chances early on.

Veteran forward Stephen Dobbie saw an early effort whistle narrowly wide of the far post after leaving Niall Keown on the floor before Paul McGinn volleyed tamely at Martin at the other end.

The game settled down with the artificial surface upsetting the rhythm of Thistle’s passing game, and that showed when the returning Abdul Osman misjudged a backpass which nearly let in Fergusson after half an hour, before he misjudged an attempted lob two minutes later.

Dobbie saw another effort beaten away by Cerny before a battling Sammon held off the home defence after being put through by Steven Lawless and slotted nicely into the corner.

The hosts were level 10 minutes into the second half in bizarre circumstances, as Fergusson battled with Keown inside the area, before a tackle saw the ball rebound off the forward and fly past Cerny and into the net from a tight angle.

Frustration began to grow for the Jags as Chris Erskine volleyed into the back of a defender before Blair Spittall’s driving effort was palmed away by Martin.

With less than 10 minutes to go, Sammon showed his strength to hold off a defender inside the box before his deflected shot found the back of the net to spark a mini pitch invasion from the travelling Partick fans.

Dobbie fired a curling effort narrowly wide as the hosts went for an equaliser, but Thistle had enough to see the game out.

Stay updated with the latest news, gossip and football stories by following us @Football_P

Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.