Dobbie treble sends Dundee out of Scottish Cup

Stephen Dobbie was the hat-trick hero as Queen of the South overpowered Dundee 3-0 to earn their place in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup.

Two first-half goals were added to in the second period as Gary Naysmith’s side coasted past the Premiership outfit to set up their clash with Aberdeen.

Dundee threatened first when Roarie Deacon’s corner kick was met by Ryan Inniss but the defender’s powerful header flew over the crossbar after seven minutes.

Deacon won a free-kick two minutes later after being fouled by Jordan Marshall. The winger took the free-kick and found Darren O’ Dea whose header came off the base of the post as the top flight side controlled the opening spell.

But Queens took the lead after 12 minutes through Dobbie with his 35th of the season. Given the ball by Lyndon Dykes at the halfway line, he drove forward into the middle of the pitch and let fly from 25 yards with the ball sailing past Seny Dieng.

The home side doubled their advantage after 27 minutes thanks to an absolute gift from Dundee. Inniss’ backpass to Dieng was hopelessly undercooked and Dobbie pounced, won the ball and knocked it into the net.

Dee defender Inniss’ miserable night was over after half an hour as he was taken off by manager Jim McIntyre.

Just two minutes before the break there was a moment of controversy. Dobbie played in Kyle Jacobs and the midfielder was pushed in the back by Andrew Dales but referee Steven McLean was not interested.

With 15 minutes left the tie was killed off when more sloppy Dundee defending let Dobbie in. Genseric Kusunga was caught out with another slack backpass and the ex-Blackpool striker pounced to send Palmerston wild.

The veteran frontman was given a standing ovation as he was substituted a minute from time.

Stay updated with the latest news, gossip and football stories by following us @Football_P

Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.