Dominic Iorfa nets late effort as Wednesday take point from Rotherham

Sheffield Wednesday scored in the 10th minute of time added on to claim a 2-2 draw they barely deserved at Rotherham in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Millers were on course to end 43 years of Wednesday domination in their own patch after goals from Jon Taylor and Richie Towell overturned Fernando Forestieri’s opener.

But with referee Darren England allowing play to continue well past the allotted eight minutes of additional time, Dominic Iorfa converted from close range to steal a point for Wednesday, with Forestieri sent off for receiving two yellow cards in the aftermath to the goal.

It denied what should have been a first league home win over the Owls since 1976 and a crucial three points in their quest to beat the drop.

Wednesday, who have won nine and drawn three of 12 unbeaten games in Rotherham, remain undefeated under Steve Bruce, the new boss was will know they got lucky here.

The Millers were better from the off and created two golden chances in the 24th minute, which really should have seen them take the lead.

First Anthony Forde robbed Michael Hector of possession and raced clear on goal, but Kieren Westwood stayed big and made a good save, before Michael Smith criminally missed the target moments later when in a fine position 12 yards out.

Joe Mattock missed another opportunity when he blazed over before his mistake almost allowed Wednesday to take the lead a couple of minutes later.

Mattock’s header back to goalkeeper Marek Rodak was a weak one and Adam Reach nipped in but his effort hit the outside of the post.

It was not long until the Owls got in down the right again and this time they took the lead in the 35th minute.

Reach got the better of Forde and cut back to Forestieri, who clinically drilled home from eight yards out for his fifth goal of the season.

But just 86 seconds later, with the Owls fans still celebrating, their defence was breached for the first time under Bruce as the Millers drew level.

Smith out-muscled Hector and teed up Taylor to volley home from eight yards.

After an edgy start to the second half, where there were plenty of full-blooded challenges, the game opened up and Rotherham had three chances within a few minutes to take the lead.

From a Wednesday corner Will Vaulks stole possession, running the length of the pitch, and played Richie Towell in, but the midfielder’s touch was poor and his shot was blocked before Reach headed off the line from Semi Ajayi.

Towell then had another golden chance as Taylor’s ball in found him in space but he again squandered the opportunity to get a shot away.

But that miss did not matter as in the 74th minute the Brighton loanee found the back of the net to give his side a deserved advantage.

Hector failed to deal with a hoofed ball down the middle, which caught the wind and, after Joe Newell’s attempt to chip Westwood was blocked, it fell to Towell, who converted in off the post.

Rotherham went for the jugular in a bid to kill the game and should have done it but Smith headed inches wide from Ryan Williams’ cross.

That proved costly as with the last kick of the game, Iorfa poked home from close range as Wednesday took an unlikely point.

Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.