Football rumours from the media – 21st September, 2017

What the papers say

At least two Premier League clubs have taken an interest in Paris St Germain’s Edinson Cavani after his spat with Neymar in Sunday’s 2-0 win over Lyon, Mail Online reports. Hostility between the Paris club’s new £200m forward and their established striker is said to have piqued Everton and Chelsea. However, either will reportedly have to outmanoeuvre his former side Napoli – and cough up over £120,000 a week – to secure his services.

Birmingham vetoed signing Manchester United’s £31 million defender Victor Lindelof because he “wasn’t quite tough enough”, former boss Gary Rowett has revealed. Speaking on Sky Sports, the Derby manager admitted they “made a mistake” by opting against taking on the Swedish international – who went on to become one of United’s biggest buys – “two or three years ago”. Jose Mourinho snapped up the 23-year-old at the end of last season from Benfica to bolster his side’s central defence.

Promising Chelsea youngster Tammy Abraham may snub playing for England in favour of Nigeria, the tabloid reports. The 19-year-old striker, on loan at Swansea, has played for England at youth level, but can swap because he has not played for a senior side so far. The newspaper was told by the Nigerian Football Federation president Amaju Pinnick, reportedly a friend of Abraham’s father: “I can tell you authoritatively that he has agreed to play for Nigeria and not England.”

Alexis Sanchez and Raheem Sterling battle for the ball
Could Alexis Sanchez, left, and Raheem Sterling swap clubs in January? (Nick Potts/PA)

A deal that would see Raheem Sterling and Alexis Sanchez swap clubs could go ahead in January, the Mirror reports. Arsene Wenger is said to be keen to sign the England player, while Sanchez is rumoured to want a reunion with Pep Guardiola. However, after a £60 million offer collapsed over the summer, the City boss may have a fight on his hands with rival Jose Mourinho – who is also after the Chile international, according to the tabloid.

Chelsea forward Eden Hazard has ruled out a megabucks move to PSG, the Daily Express reports. The £32 million Belgian international had admitted he would be open to returning to France, where he played for Lille until his 2012 transfer to west London.

Social media round-up

@MirrorFootball: Arsenal and Chelsea enter race for Genoa wonderkid Pietro Pellegri

Players to watch

David Philipp: Liverpool and Tottenham are after the 17-year-old Werder Bremen starlet, according to the tabloid.

Dayot Upamecano in action for RB Leipzig
Dayot Upamecano is said to be a Liverpool target (John Walton/PA)

Dayot Upamecano: The Reds are interested in the RB Leipzig 18-year-old, however the Bundesliga side have an £89million buy-out clause in his contract, the Daily Star reports.

Stay updated with the latest news, gossip and football stories by following us @Football_P

identicon
Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.