Laurent nets late winner as Shrewsbury shock Stoke to reach FA Cup fourth round

Shrewsbury Town produced a remarkable turnaround to dump Stoke City out of the FA Cup with a stunning 3-2 comeback victory in their third-round replay.

The League One side were 2-0 down at half-time but recovered in spectacular style, scoring three goals in 10 second-half minutes to send their Championship hosts crashing out at the bet365 Stadium.

It spoilt what looked like was going to be Nathan Jones’ first win as new Stoke boss, especially after teenage striker Tyrese Campbell bagged a brace on his home debut and first league start for the hosts.

But James Bolton pulled a goal back with a stunning 71st-minute strike and Fejiri Okenabirhie levelled from the penalty spot six minutes later after Josh Laurent had been felled by Sam Clucas.

And the drama was not over yet as Laurent poked home with nine minutes remaining to complete one of the greatest comeback wins.

Next up for Shrewsbury is an intriguing home clash with Wolves as manager Sam Ricketts and his triumphant team look to spring another cup shock.

Former England striker Peter Crouch thought he had put the hosts ahead after quarter of an hour, but his headed goal from a Charlie Adam free-kick was chalked out for offside.

But the opening goal came five minutes later when Campbell, son of the former Arsenal and Everton centre-forward Kevin, latched on to a lovely pass from midfielder Tom Ince and calmly slotted past Shrews goalkeeper Steve Arnold.

Nigeria midfielder Peter Etebo tried his luck from distance soon after, but he blasted the ball wide.

However, a second goal was just around the corner and Campbell completed his brace as he latched onto a loose clearance and smashed home to give Jones’ side breathing space at the break.

Ince somehow missed a glorious chance to put the game out of reach less than two minutes after the resumption.

Josh Tyman whipped in a lovely cross from the left but Ince fired wide from six yards out before looking to the heavens in disbelief.

Ince missed again moments later, this time rifling the ball over with an ambitious left-footed shot as the hosts kept pushing for more goals.

Stoke were then given a little scare in the 55th minute when Shrewsbury top scorer Okenabirhie fired the ball into the side netting from an acute angle.

Clucas shot over from inside the penalty area shortly after the hour mark as the pressure continued from the home team.

Ince had a left-foot shot deflected wide for a corner but then the visitors pulled one back as Bolton fired home a brilliant effort with less than 20 minutes remaining.

Arnold thwarted substitute James McClean with a brilliant point-blank strike and that miss proved crucial as Shrewsbury broke on the counter and won a penalty at the other end.

Laurent was felled by Clucas and Okenabirhie lashed home from the spot to set-up a frantic finish.

And there was still time for Laurent to win it much to the despair of Jones and his shell-shocked side.

Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.