Lee Holmes on target as Exeter continue strong start

Lee Holmes scored the only goal as Exeter remained top of Sky Bet League Two with a 1-0 success over fellow high-flyers Newport.

Midfielder Holmes cut in from the right and curled a fine shot into the bottom corner with 57 minutes played at St James Park.

The win extended the Grecians’ unbeaten start to the league campaign to five matches while County dropped from second to seventh following their first defeat.

Stevenage moved into second with a late 1-0 victory at struggling Cheltenham.

Joe Martin’s superb free-kick eight minutes from time was enough to seal the points for unbeaten Boro, leaving the hosts propping up the division with just three points from a possible 15.

Accrington complete the automatic promotion places following their 2-1 win at near neighbours Morecambe.

Billy Kee’s 25-yard strike set Stanley on the road to victory and their cause was aided by a straight red card for Morecambe striker Vadaine Oliver with just over half an hour remaining.

Jordan Clark added a second in the final minute before Kevin Ellison halved the deficit deep into stoppage time.

Shaq Coulthirst hit a hat-trick as Barnet recorded a resounding 4-1 success at Swindon in a game which both sides finished with 10 men.

Striker Coulthirst opened the scoring early on and Jamal Campbell-Ryce doubled the lead with a penalty before Town’s Donal McDermott was dismissed in the opening stages of the second half for a late tackle on David Tutonda.

Coulthirst completed his treble with two quick-fire goals just after the hour-mark, prior to Luke Norris pulling one back and Bees defender Andre Blackman seeing red for an off-the-ball incident.

Jordan Roberts’ double helped Crawley make it back-to-back wins as they defeated Yeovil 2-0.

The midfielder, who also scored in last week’s win at Swindon, coolly finished from the edge of the area 12 minutes in before sealing victory with a simple finish just after the break.

First-half goals from Paris Cowan-Hall, Anthony Stewart and Luke O’Nien earned fourth-placed Wycombe a 3-1 success over Forest Green, with Christian Doidge grabbing the visitors’ consolation.

Calum Butcher rescued a 1-1 draw for Mansfield at Carlisle after team-mate Kane Hemmings had a penalty saved by Jack Bonham. Hallam Hope had earlier put the home side in front.

Crewe suffered their first defeat of the season as Mitch Rose’s first-half header gave Grimsby a 1-0 success at Blundell Park.

Uche Ikpeazu’s 64th-minute goal secured Cambridge their second win of the campaign as they beat Colchester 1-0. Notts County won at Port Vale by the same scoreline thanks to Lewis Alessandra’s second-half strike.

Elsewhere, Chesterfield had midfielder Robbie Weir sent off for two bookings as they drew 0-0 at home to Coventry while Lincoln and Luton also finished goalless.

Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.