Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson insists he has no problem with Salford despite angering their co-owner Gary Neville.
Neville claimed Robinson lacked etiquette after the Well manager discussed non-league Salford’s transfer business last week.
Robinson said the fifth-tier club “blew us away with money” when competing to sign a player, to which Neville reacted angrily on Twitter.
Quoting an article based on Robinson’s comments, the former England and Manchester United defender said: “There used to be an etiquette in football where you wouldn’t talk about another club’s business.”
Salford, who are part owned by Phil and Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, have also been accused by Accrington chairman Andy Holt of trying to “steal” a place in the English Football League, but Robinson insists he has no problem with the backing of non-league clubs.
“(I have) no thoughts on Gary’s (comments),” he said. “As I said in my original interview, Salford City, I can see the attraction.
“They have excellent backers, they have people who want to put their money in and take the football club forwards so they should be absolutely admired for that.
“I spoke to Graham Alexander (Salford manager), I phoned him and said ‘this is not what the interview was based on, it was based on how Scottish football can compete’.
“I’m very supportive; if people want to put money in football clubs, brilliant.
“It’s a massive plus for the game that you have people like that, they have a good manager and are a club that is going forward.
“There was definitely no negative comments about Salford City in any shape or form.”
Motherwell’s Betfred Cup hopes took a hit at the weekend after they were beaten on penalties by Stranraer, leaving them five points behind Queen of the South with two games to play.
The two are due to face each other at Fir Park on Tuesday night, but the Steelmen have been dealt a blow by a hamstring injury to Charles Dunne which is set to rule him out of the start of the season.
Robinson admitted it was a setback, saying: “At the minute it looks like he will be out for a minimum of four weeks, possibly six.
“He’s probably the one player in the squad that I couldn’t afford to lose and he’s the one player I couldn’t replace.
“It’s a big blow for us but what it does is it gives other people opportunities.”
Stay updated with the latest news, gossip and football stories by following us @Football_P