Potter takes full responsibility for ‘uncomfortable’ first half in Swansea

Graham Potter apologised to his Swansea team and the club’s supporters after they were held to a 2-2 draw by Wigan in their Sky Bet Championship clash at the Liberty Stadium.

Potter’s side started the game with an unusual 3-4-2-1 formation, but it backfired in spectacular fashion, with the hosts all at sea in both defence and attack.

Wigan striker Joe Garner scored twice before the break and Potter changed his system for the second half after his team were booed off.

An own goal from Wigan captain Dan Burn and Mike Van Der Hoorn’s strike would ensure the game ended all square.

“I take full responsibility for the first half, we weren’t able to be ourselves and it was an uncomfortable 45 minutes,” Potter said.

“I had an idea of how we wanted to play, but it didn’t work. I am disappointed with myself and I apologise to the players and to the supporters for the first half.

“We wanted to have width with Wayne Routledge and Dan James as we thought Wigan would block the centre of the pitch.

“But the response in the second half was fantastic and our supporters throughout the game were incredible. They got behind us in an amazing way and we could even have nicked all three points.”

Swansea were all over the place in the first half and when Routledge fouled Kal Naismith in the box, referee James Linington pointed to the spot. Garner tucked home the penalty.

Wigan could have scored five or six before the break, but did turn around 2-0 to the good after Garner grabbed his second by converting Reece James’ corner.

Potter changed things around for the second half.

He reverted to a back four with Jefferson Montero and Kyle Naughton replacing Cian Harries and Courtney Baker-Richardson. It made an immediate difference.

Swansea dominated the rest of the game and Matt Grimes’ corner was bundled into the Wigan net with Latics captain Dan Burn getting the final touch.

Potter’s men equalised when another corner – this time from Bersant Celina – was volleyed home by Swansea captain Van Der Hoorn.

The corner was given after an offside flag had incorrectly gone up following a Swansea throw-in. The Wigan defence stopped before conceding what in the end proved to be a vital set-piece.

Wigan manager Paul Cook said: “The most sensible thing for me would have been to take the throw-in again and we could all have had a little laugh at the linesman.

“It was a good game. We were excellent first half and Swansea were excellent in the second half. At the end of the day I think a draw was a fair result.

“At half-time we were in the ascendancy and I could only see ourselves winning the game, but before the game, of course, we would have taken a point. Our lads are very disappointed, but they should take heart from this.

“It’s disappointing to concede from two set-pieces, but we couldn’t handle Swansea’s substitutes.”

Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.