Former Brazil star Ronaldo has confirmed he is back at home after spending time in hospital in Ibiza for what he described as “a bad case of influenza”.
Newspaper Diario De Ibiza reported that the former Barcelona and Real Madrid striker had been taken to the island’s Can Misses hospital on Friday and spent time in intensive care after being diagnosed with pneumonia.
The 41-year-old, who later played down concerns for his health, thanked hospital doctors and nurses in a post on Twitter and said he was looking forward to the current football season.
“Hi guys! I’m already at home after a few days at the clinic,” said Ronaldo, who retired as a player in 2011. “Thank you all for the kind comments and positive energy!
“Thanks to the team of doctors and nurses. Now let’s focus on football! This season will be incredible and promises more news.”
Ronaldo confirmed on Twitter on Sunday that he had been diagnosed with influenza and that he was expecting to be discharged on Monday.
“Guys, I had a bad case of influenza here in Ibiza, I was hospitalized on Friday, but everything is under control!” he said.
“(On Monday) I get discharged and I go back home! Thank you all for the messages and affection!
Ronaldo, whose club career took in spells at Cruzeiro, PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Corinthians, is on holiday in Ibiza, where he owns a house.
The striker, Ballon d’Or winner in 1997 and 2002, ended his playing career seven years ago when he hung up his boots up after two years with Corinthians.
Ronaldo scored 62 goals in 98 appearances for Brazil, including both in the World Cup final in 2002 against Germany, and is widely regarded as one of the world’s finest players.
Stay updated with the latest news, gossip and football stories by following us @Football_P