Shrewsbury stay four points clear at League One summit after beating Scunthorpe

Shrewsbury continued their strong march at the top of the League One table to maintain a four-point lead thanks to a 2-0 victory over Scunthorpe.

Stefan Payne’s first-half header put the leaders ahead before Carlton Morris sealed maximum points with three minutes left as their opponents dropped to seventh.

Second-placed Wigan recorded a win by the same score thanks to a brace from Will Grigg. The Northern Ireland international smashed home his first from close range on the half-hour mark and he made no mistake from the spot when awarded a penalty after he was felled by James Wilson 10 minutes after the break.

Charlie Wyke and Nat Knight-Percival were on target as Bradford claimed a 2-0 win against Yorkshire rivals Doncaster to move up to third.

Peterborough dropped down a spot to fourth as Oxford fought back for a 4-1 victory after Jack Marriott had given the London Road side the lead.

Josh Ruffels (48) equalised before Jack Payne set up both Wes Thomas (53) and Joe Rothwell (75), while Agon Mehmeti (82) added the gloss.

Dominic Samuel’s fifth goal of the season was enough for Blackburn as they defeated Gillingham 1-0 at Ewood Park and edged into the top six, while Tarique Fosu-Henry’s hat-trick saw Charlton win 3-1 at Fleetwood, who equalised through Bobby Grand midway through the first half.

Eoin Doyle came back to haunt his former club with a goal in each half as Oldham claimed their second consecutive win and moved out of the bottom four with a 2-1 victory at Portsmouth, who scored a late consolation through Brett Pitman.

MK Dons stretched their unbeaten run to four matches after claiming a 2-0 win at Bury thanks to Osman Sow’s early opener and Ethan Ebanks-Landell’s 66th-minute header.

Southend moved up a couple of places to 12th following a 2-1 win at home to Blackpool thanks to goals from Anthony Wordsworth (five) and Simon Cox (46) – Kyle Vassell (56) replied for the visitors, who dropped to ninth.

Bottom side Plymouth suffered more misery as they lost 2-1 at Bristol Rovers and lost Gary Miller to a straight red card for serious foul play in the 64th minute.

Elsewhere, Kieffer Moore’s 52nd-minute effort was enough as Rotherham edged Northampton 1-0 and the game between AFC Wimbledon and Rochdale finished goalless.

Stay updated with the latest news, gossip and football stories by following us @Football_P

Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.