West Brom fight back to win at Sheffield United

West Brom came from behind to win 2-1 at Sheffield United and climb above their opponents into third in the Sky Bet Championship table.

David McGoldrick put the home side ahead but Albion equalised late in the first half through Gareth Barry before Kieran Gibbs struck the winner with 14 minutes left.

Victory extended Darren Moore’s side’s unbeaten run to six games and left the Blades without a win in their last three home fixtures.

The hosts pressed early on and Albion goalkeeper Sam Johnstone was called into action to tip Mark Duffy’s cross behind.

Poor distribution from Johnstone then presented United with a chance as Oliver Norwood intercepted the ball and played in McGoldrick, who was denied by the keeper.

The opening goal came in the 12th minute when Chris Basham found Duffy and his incisive ball allowed McGoldrick to evade his marker and fire past the advancing Johnstone.

The chances continued to come for the hosts, with Duffy’s deflected low shot being saved by Johnstone at his near post before McGoldrick sent over a cross which was just too high for Norwood.

At the other end, Albion won a free-kick around 30 yards which was taken by Harvey Barnes, who curled his effort wide of Dean Henderson’s right-hand post.

It was the home side who continued to dominate, however, with skipper Billy Sharp the next to threaten as he saw his shot from inside the area charged down.

Jack O’Connell then sent over a low cross which was deflected across the face of goal, with no-one there to apply the finish.

Albion equalised in the 41st minute when Barnes broke free down the left, advanced to the byline and pulled the ball back to former England international Barry, who fired high into the net from 12 yards.

Buoyed by the goal, Albion threatened to score again when Matt Phillips forced a save from Henderson.

Shortly before the break, Sharp fired in a shot from the left-hand side of the area which hit the side-netting.

The opening chance of the second half fell to Albion’s Jay Rodriguez, who headed over after meeting a cross from Phillips, before John Fleck put a low shot wide at the other end of the pitch.

The visitors had a great chance to go in front when they caught United on the break and Barnes was put through on goal, but Henderson deflected his effort over the crossbar.

McGoldrick put a header off target and Rodriguez sliced his effort wide before Albion took the lead.

The goal came when Phillips showed tenacity on the right wing to hold off his marker before crossing to Barnes, who back-heeled the ball into the path of Gibbs and he fired low into the far corner of the net.

Sharp shot over from the edge of the area as the hosts looked to get back on level terms.

Conor Washington was sent on in place of Duffy to add some extra spark up front but Wilder’s men never seriously threatened to draw level as they went down to their third home defeat of the season.

Football Paradise Staff Reporter

Serving quality football news from around the globe. No click-bait.